About World Soil Day-
- It aims to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining healthy ecosystems and human well-being by addressing the growing challenges in soil management, fighting soil salinization, increasing soil awareness and encouraging societies to improve soil health.
- Theme of 2021 edition is to ‘halt soil salinization, boost soil productivity’.
- The day was chosen as December 5 to mark the birthday of Thailand’s king, HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who formally made this event happen.
- The United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) initiated the day under the leadership of the king of Thailand.
- The International of Soil Sciences (IUSS) in the year 2002 offered a global day to raise awareness of soil degradation effects and prevention.
- Finally, in 2013, the United Nations General Assembly decided to dedicate a day and its first official day started on December 05,2014.