In news– Every year 27th February is observed as World NGO Day.
About World NGO Day-
- It is an international day to recognise, celebrate and honour non-government and non-profit organizations and also those who contribute their time and efforts in making society a better place to live in.
- It aims to create awareness about the sector and encourage people across the world who work in the sector for a good cause.
- The Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea State officially recognised this day on April 27, 2010.
- It was adopted in the forum’s Final Statement Resolution two years later.
- The Baltic Sea NGO Forum has member countries like Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway and Sweden.
- It was in 2014 that World NGO Day was officially celebrated by the United Nations General Assembly.
- The first global inaugural event of World NGO day was hosted by the Ministry for Foreign affairs of Finland on 27 February 2014 in Helsinki, Finland.
- An international calendar day, which is now known as ‘World NGO Day,’ was inaugurated for the first time on this day.
- The theme for World NGO Day 2022 is yet to be announced.
- The theme for World NGO Day 2021 was to align NGO’s work to reach United Nations Goal for Sustainable Development.