In news– Recently, the USA hosted the Summit for Democracy 2021.
About the Summit-
- It was a virtual summit hosted by the United States to renew democracy at home and confront autocracies abroad on December 9–10, 2021.
- It was the first Summit for Democracy convened by US President Joe Biden.
- Three themes of the summit are defending against authoritarianism, addressing and fighting corruption, and advancing respect for human rights.
- The Summit envisages participation of leaders from government, civil society, and the private sector.
- More than 100 countries have been invited to the summit, the invitees from the Asia-Pacific region include India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Pakistan, Maldives and the Philippines, but not Bangladesh.
- However, Pakistan has skipped the Democracy Summit.
- During the summit, the Indian Prime Minister said that the international community must jointly shape global norms for technology such as social media and cryptocurrencies” so that they are used to empower democracy, not undermine it.
- He also mentioned elected republican city-states such as Licchavi and Shakya which flourished in India as far as 2,500 years back.
- The purpose of the gathering was not to assert that any of the participant countries were perfect democracies, but to lock arms and reaffirm our shared commitment to make our democracy better and to share ideas and make concrete commitments on 3 themes mentioned above.
- There is a second summit planned for a year from now, where countries are expected to discuss progress on their commitments.