In news– Bihar’s West Champaran district has been selected for the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration, 2021 in the category of ‘Innovation District’ for its initiative, ‘Navpravartan startup zone Chanpatia.
About the Awards-
- Government of India has instituted a scheme in 2006 namely, “The Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration” – to acknowledge, recognize and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by Districts/ Organizations of the Central and State Governments.
- It was restructured in 2014, 2020 for recognizing the performance of District Collectors in Priority Programs, Innovations and Aspirational Districts and towards economic development of the District.
- The Scheme has been revamped with a new approach in 2021 with the objective to encourage Constructive Competition, Innovation, Replication and Institutionalisation of Best Practices.
- Under this approach emphasis is on good governance, qualitative achievement and last mile connectivity, rather than only on achievement of quantitative targets.
- The awards acknowledge and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by the bureaucrats across the country.
- For the year 2021, it aims to recognize the contribution of civil servants in:
- Promoting “Jan Bhagidari” or Peoples’ participation in Poshan Abhiyan.
- Promoting excellence in sports and wellness through Khelo India scheme.
- Digital Payments and good governance in PM SVANidhi Yojana.
- Holistic Development through One District One Product scheme.
- Seamless, End-to-End Delivery of Services without Human Intervention and
- The PM’s Awards, 2021 will consist of Trophy, scroll and an incentive of Rs.20 lakhs to the awarded District/organization to be utilized for implementation of project/ programme or bridging resource gaps in any area of public welfare.
- A Certificate of Recognition, a copy of which will be placed in the Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) of the officer/ team submitting the nomination.
- A letter of appreciation to be issued by the Secretary (Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances) to the officers who have contributed towards the initiative with a copy to Chief Secretary / Secretary of concerned Central Ministry/ Department.
- A copy of the letter to be sent to DOPT for placing in the Performance Appraisal Dossier of the officer.
- The Prime Minister presents the award to the winners on April 21 to commemorate National Civil Services Day.
- Twelve awards, including two under innovation category, will be given on the occasion.
Note- Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN (UdeDeshkaAamNagrik) has been selected for Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration 2020 under the category “Innovation (General) – Central”.