In news-National Civil Services day is observed on April 21 every year.
About the day-
- It was on April 21, 1947 that Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, the then Home Minister addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers at Metcalf House, Delhi.
- Then, the previous Indian Civil Services under British India were changed to All India Services subject to complete Indian control.
- During his speech, he referred to civil servants as the ‘steel frame of India’.
- However, the first such function to celebrate Civil Services Day was held in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 21 April 2006.
- On this day, the officers of central and state governments are awarded by the Prime Minister of India for their extraordinary services in the field of public administration.
- Every year, the award function is organized by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public grievances and the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.