In news–Recently, Bangladesh has discovered a new gas field with the capacity to produce 20 million cubic feet of gas per day (MMCFD) at the Koilastila Gas field.
About the gas field-
- Kailashtilla Gas Field is a natural gas field at Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- It was discovered in 1962 by Pakistan Shell Oil Company.
- It is one of the five gas fields purchased from the Shell Oil company by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975 for just 4.5 million pounds.
- So far 7 wells have been drilled in the Koilastila gas field of Sylhet Gas Fields Limited (SGFL).
- Of these, 29 million cubic feet of gas is being produced daily from two running wells and supplied to the national grid.
- The first gas field in Bangladesh was made in Sylhet in 1955.
- With the new discovery, it will be possible to supply 17-19 million cubic feet of gas daily to the national grid.
- Bangladesh currently produces 2370 MMCFD from its 26 commercial gas fields out of which 85 percent comes from the top 4 gas fields.
- Bibiyana Gas Field and Titas Gas field are its major locations for production of gas.