About INS Visakhapatnam-
- Commissioned in November 2021, it is the indigenously designed and constructed guided-missile stealth destroyer and the lead ship of P15B class of guided-missile stealth destroyers.
- It was designed by the Indian Navy’s in-house organization Directorate of Naval Design and constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai.
- The ship measures 163m in length, 17m in breadth with a displacement of 7,400 tonnes and can rightfully be regarded as one of the most potent warships to have been constructed in India.
- It is propelled by four powerful Gas Turbines, in a Combined Gas and Gas (COGAG) configuration, capable of achieving speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- It has enhanced stealth features and is packed with sophisticated state-of-the-art weapons and sensors such as Surface-to-Surface missile and Surface-to-Air missiles.
- It is fitted with a modern surveillance radar which provides target data to the gunnery weapon systems of the ship.
- The ship is equipped to fight under Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) warfare conditions.
- The ship symbolizes India’s matured shipbuilding capability and quest for the Make in India initiative towards achieving ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’.
- The crew of the ship abides by her motto ‘Yasho Labhasva’ – a Sanskrit phrase that translates to ‘Attain Glory’.
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/y-12704-visakhapatnam-ship/