In news– The 6th Edition of the biennial training exercise “EX SHAKTI 2021” is being conducted from 15 to 26 November 2021 in Frejus, France.
About the exercise–
- It focuses on Counter-Terrorism operations in backdrop of semi-urban terrain under United Nations Mandate with an aim to enhance military cooperation and inter-operability between the two Armies.
- The Gorkha Rifles Infantry Battalion is representing the Indian Army in this bilateral exercise.
- The French side is being represented by troops of 21st Marine Infantry Regiment of 6th Light Armoured Brigade.
- The Gorkha Rifles contingent’s contributions in 1971 war was recognized by Battle Honour SHINGO River Valley and Theatre Honour of Jammu & Kashmir.
- The French Army contingent was raised in 1831 under the name of 2nd Marine Regiment and later renamed as 21st Marine Infantry Regiment in 1901.
- The Regiment specialises in amphibious warfare and has varied operational experiences in Africa, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan & Mali.
- The last edition of Exercise SHAKTI was conducted at Foreign Training Node in Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Rajasthan from 31 Oct to 13 Nov 2019.
- India and France carry out three biennial training exercises — Exercise Garuda with the Indian Air Force, Exercise Varuna with the Indian Navy and Exercise Shakti with Indian Army.