Recently a CoBRA commando was killed in IED blast in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma
History of Commando Battalion for Resolute Action(CoBRA)
- In the year 2009, the Ministry of Home affairs had accorded approval for setting up the Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) for guerrilla/jungle warfare type operations for dealing with extremists and insurgents, etc.
- The Govt. accorded sanction of raising of 10 unattached battalions of CoBRA in Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF), with a Sector Headquarter for these battalions headed by an Inspector General.
- Originally established to counter the Naxalite problem, CoBRA is deployed to address insurgent groups engaging in asymmetrical warfare
Role of CoBRA
- CoBRA Battalions are trained to adapt in multi tasking skills operations in extreme terrain.
- They are trained in guerrilla warfare, field engineering, tracking of explosives, jungle survival techniques along with ops tactics to fight insurgents.
- Specialized training programme include jungle warfare, Ops planning and execution, physical endurance, map reading and GPS, intelligence, heli-slithering.
- Cobras are trained in the CRPF jungle warfare institutions in Belgaum and Koraput. Their training regime and duration is similar to that of lines of NSG Commandos.
- They are trained to adapt the art of camouflage and jungle warfare with main focus on jungle warfare
- Their role is to carry out reconnaissance and long range patrols, gather intelligence on the whereabouts of the insurgents, and also carry out ambushes and precision strikes when required.