In News- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari recently reviewed the construction work of the strategically important Zojila and Z-Morh tunnels on the Srinagar-Leh highway.
About Zojila tunnel-
- The 434-km Srinagar-Leh road connecting the Kashmir valley with Ladakh is snowed out at the 3,530-metre Zojila pass for four to six months every year.
- Once completed, at 14.15 km, the Zojila tunnel will be India’s longest road tunnel, and Asia’s longest bi-directional tunnel.
- The Zojila tunnel between Baltal and Minamarg on the Srinagar-Leh section will provide all-year connectivity between Leh and Srinagar.
- The distance from Baltal to Minamarg will come down to 13 km from the present 40 km, travel time is expected to be cut by an hour and a half.
- The Z-Morh tunnel between Gagangir and Sonmarg will provide connectivity in all weather conditions between Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir and Kargil in Ladakh.
- The highway will have 2 twin-tube tunnels, 5 bridges, and 2 snow galleries.