Source: PIB & India Today
UNICEF has informed that they have launched ‘YuWaah’ Generation Unlimited in India in November 2019
It is aimed at imparting skills among the youth and providing employment to more than 300 million young Indians
- According to UNICEF, Generation Unlimited, called YuWaah in India, is a multi-stakeholder alliance that aims to facilitate youth to gain relevant skills for productive lives and the future of work.
- Target group: The target age group of YuWaah includes adolescent girls and boys and its key mission is to promote access to foundational, transferable and 21stcentury skills for youth inside and outside formal education systems, which includes defining foundational skills, life skills and flexible learning and identifying and scaling impactful delivery models.
- YuWaah intends to create platforms to guide youth to market opportunities (career guidance, mentorship, internships, apprenticeships) and facilitate the integration of career guidance in school education.
- Agencies involved: Supported by Unicef, Generation Unlimited brings young people together with the private sector, governments, international and local organizations to tackle the urgent challenge of investing in their learning and training so that they are prepared for the complex and fast-changing world of work and can be active and engaged citizens.
- India is one of the first countries in the world to launch its national initiative linked to the global Generation Unlimited movement which began in New York in September 2018.
- A strategic partnership with over 30 partners was established at the launch, to shape the next steps for YuWaah! in India.
- The National Youth Challenge was also launched – kicking off the YuWaah! alliance’s activities. NITI Aayog CEO and a joint leader jointly launched the Youth Challenge to engage young women and men across the country to share solutions which
- Promote formal or informal educational experiences that build skills young people need for productive lives and the future of work.
- Improve connections between young people and existing work opportunities.
- Promote equitable access to quality education, training, employment, entrepreneurship and civic participation.
- Partners in the YuWaah! The alliance will support the best ideas to scale up solutions.
About Generation Unlimited
In 2018, UNICEF initiated the Generation Unlimited partnership at the global level. Within the overall Sustainable Development Goals framework, and the new UN Youth Policy 2030, Generation Unlimited provides an agenda that is universal in nature – all countries can and must do more to support the education, skills, and empowerment of young people.
In 2018, NITI Aayog organized National Youth Consultations in India, hearing from more than 250 young people from six states, about their dreams and aspirations, concerns and worries for the future – as well as the solutions they would like to see. These consultations informed the strategy that has led to the launch of YuWaah! in India.