Source: Yojana magazine
Indian Space Research Organisation has launched a special programme for School Children called “Young Scientist Programme” “YUva VIgyani KAryakram” (YUVIKA) from the year 2019. The second session of the programme is scheduled to be held during the month of May 2020.
- The Program is primarily aimed at imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications to the younger ones with the intent of arousing their interest in the emerging areas of Space activities.
- The program is thus aimed at creating awareness amongst the youngsters who are the future building blocks of our Nation.
- ISRO has chalked out this programme to “Catch them young”.
- Duration: The programme will be of two weeks duration during summer holidays (May 11-22, 2020) and the schedule will include invited talks, experience sharing by the eminent scientists, facility and lab visits, exclusive sessions for discussions with experts, practical and feedback sessions.
- 3 students each from each State/ Union Territory will be selected to participate in this programme covering CBSE, ICSE and State syllabus.
- 5 additional seats are reserved for OCI candidates across the country.
Selection procedure & eligibility
- The selection will be done through online registration.
- The online registration will be open from February 03 to 24, 2020.
- Those who have finished 8th standard and currently studying in 9th standard (in the academic year 2019-20) will be eligible for the programme.
- Students who are studying in India including OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) are eligible for the programme.
- The selection is based on the 8th Standard academic performance and extracurricular activities. The selection criteria are given below;
|1||Performance in the 8th Std Examination||60%|
|2||Prize in school events conducted by the School or Education board from the year 2016 onwards (like Elocution, Debate, Essay Writing….) at District/State/National/ International Level (The higher level will be considered for weightage)||2/4/6/10%|
|3||Winners of District/State/National/International Level sports activities conducted by School or Education board from the year 2016 onwards (The higher level will be considered for weightage)||2/4/6/10%|
|4||Scouts and Guides/NCC/NSS Member – during the current academic year (2019-20)||5%|
|5||Studying in Rural School (Certificate of proof to this effect to be produced from the head of the school – Criteria: The school, where the candidate is studying should be located in Block/Village Panchayath Area)||15%|
Students belong to the rural area have been given special weightage in the selection criteria. In case there is a tie between the selected candidates, the younger candidates will be given priority.
- It is proposed to conduct the residential programme during 11-22 May 2020, at 4 centres of ISRO.
- The selected students will be requested to report to anyone of the ISRO/DOS centres located at Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Shillong and Thiruvananthapuram.