In news- A patient in Ghaziabad, UP, has been diagnosed with a case of yellow fungus.
About the infection-
- Yellow fungus is a fungal infection, which can be rather fatal and deadly as it begins internally unlike the others where symptoms are visible.
- This characteristic of yellow fungus makes it very difficult to manage and more dangerous as early diagnosis is a necessity in such cases.
- The infection is mainly caused by bad hygiene.
- Overuse of steroids, antibacterial medications or poor oxygen use are also a few causes of the infection.
- Symptoms of yellow fungus are disrupted digestion, lack of energy, lethargy and fatigue, loss of appetite, malnutrition, prolonging recovery timelines and weight loss.
- In later stages of the infection patients exhibit severe symptoms like sunken eyes due to malnutrition and organ failure, slow healing of wounds and oozing of pus from the wounds, and necrosis (cell injury that leads to death of cells and living tissues).
- The treatment for yellow fungus is Amphotericin-B injection.