Why in news?
- It is NASA’s first-ever all-electric aircraft, its development began way back in 2015.
- It is intended to demonstrate the technology to reduce fuel use, emissions, and noise.
- The two largest of 14 electric motors that propel the plane are powered by lithium-ion batteries that are specially designed.-
- It will be the first crewed X-plane to be developed in two decades.
- The lift propellers will be activated for take-off and landings, but retract during the flight’s cruise phase.
- Today, electric motor systems are more lightweight than internal combustion engines with fewer moving parts, they are much easier to maintain and weigh much less, consuming less energy to travel.
- They also are quieter than conventional engines.
- It seems a great accomplishment to inculcate this technology in flying and needs to be emulated in larger scales.