In news– Recently, the Prime Minister of India inaugurated the Energy and Resources Institute’s (TERI) latest edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS).
About the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS)-
- It is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- The WSDS 2022 was held under the umbrella theme of ‘Towards a Resilient Planet: Ensuring a Sustainable and Equitable Future’.
- The Summit also saw participation of Ministers for Environment from about a dozen countries, representatives from the United Nations, heads of inter-governmental organizations, and delegates from 126 countries.
- Instituted in 2001, the Summit series has marked 20 years in its journey of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal.
- Perhaps the only Summit on global issues, taking place in the developing world, it has established itself as a responsible and an effective platform for mobilizing opinion-makers to identify and advance pioneering actions to address some of the most relevant issues concerning sustainable development.
The Energy and Resources Institute(TERI)-
- It is a research institute located in New Delhi that specializes in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
- Established in 1974, it was formerly known as the Tata Energy Research Institute.
- As the scope of its activities widened, it was renamed The Energy and Resources Institute in 2003.
- The scope of the organization’s activities includes climate change, energy efficiency, renewable energy, biotechnology, and social transformation.
- It also has an initiative named Lighting a Billion Lives to provide clean lighting access to the bottom of the pyramid communities.
- It also conducts Green Olympiad in association with MoEF, an international environment examination that is annually organized for middle and high-school students.
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) conceived by TERI and developed with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, is a national rating system for green buildings in India.