In news : The Prime Minister of India inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit 2021 recently
About World Sustainable Development Summit 2021
- This year’s theme(20th edition): Redefining our common future: Safe and secure environment for all
- It is the flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
- Marking 20 years in its journey of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal, the Summit series brings together governments, business leaders, academicians, climate scientists, youth, and the civil society in the fight against climate change.
- With its focus on bringing the voices of youth and women to the forefront, the Summit intends to carry forward these vital discussions from the Global South to the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties in Glasgow.
Timeline of of the summit
- TERI’s global presence is enhanced by a wide range of activities of geographical relevance that the institution engages in every year.
- Symbolic of this fact is its annual flagship event–World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS)–which focuses on sustainable development, environmental protection, and energy and assessment of worldwide progress in these critical areas.
- Organized annually since 2001, the platform facilitates the exchange of knowledge on all aspects of sustainable development
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) hosted the first edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit(WSDS) from 5 to 8 October 2016, at the India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi.
- Following the landmark Paris Agreement and the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs) by the global community, TERI’s annual flagship event, the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) evolved into the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) to carry forward legacy of fifteen years.
- WSDS 2016 was among the first global platforms that discussed the new agenda post the adoption of the SDGs.
- The attempt was to initiate discussions on methodologies to be adopted to chalk out a path to realize the SDGs beyond 2015.
- The platform, in its new manifestation, promoted ‘advocacy for implementation’ with a primary focus on sharing regional experiences, i.e., local solutions for global challenges.
- In 2001, TERI launched DSDS as a precursor to WSDS under the patronage and inspiration of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Fifteen years hence, the occasion was opportune for the incumbent Prime Minister to initiate a new chapter in this series.
- With a new global development agenda in place and articulated in the form of the SDGs, WSDS envisioned a platform, which would attract great talent and expertise to disseminate messages of collective and constructive action and efforts.
- The WSDS was also poised as an Indian-international-independent platform for the government of the day to share with a diverse audience India’s plans, policies, and priorities on sustainable development and climate change