In news- Tadi Deepika, a native of Antarvedi in East Godavari district represented India in a virtual meeting organised by the United Nations (UN) on the occasion of World Oceans Day, 2021. She works with an NGO on waste management in coastal villages.
About World Oceans day-
- World Ocean Day was first suggested in 1992 during the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro.
- On December 5, 2008, a resolution was passed by the UN General Assembly to designate June 8 as World Oceans Day.
- UNESCO states that this day is observed to remind everyone that oceans are the lungs of our planet.
- The aim behind this is to not only celebrate the vast water body and its benefits in our lives but also to raise awareness about what can be done to make it a part of sustainable development.
- The theme of World Oceans Day 2021 is – “The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods”.
- India has launched a two-month long awareness campaign on plastic waste management to save our oceans.