In news– World Meteorological Day is observed every year on March 23 to highlight the importance of the role that people and their behaviour play in protecting Earth’s atmosphere.
About World Meteorological Day(WMD)-
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO), which is an intergovernmental organization, was founded on this day.
- WMO has been commemorating WMD since 1961, with a new topic chosen each year.
- The theme for 2022 is ‘Early Warning and Early Action,‘ and it emphasizes the critical necessity of hydrometeorological and climate information for disaster risk reduction.
- The theme for 2021 was “The Ocean, Our Climate and Weather.”
About World Meteorological Organization (WMO)-
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for promoting international cooperation on atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology and geophysics.
- The International Meteorological Organization (IMO), whose concept dates back to the Vienna International Meteorological Congress of 1873, gave birth to the organization.
- Following the passage of the WMO convention in 1950, the organization was founded as a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) in 1951.
- Its headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The WMO is made up of 193 countries and territories, and facilitates the “free and unrestricted” exchange of data, information, and research between the respective meteorological and hydrological institutions of its members.
- It is governed by the World Meteorological Congress, composed of member states, which meets every four years to set policies and priorities.