UN agencies, global health groups and Chile back India on intellectual property waiver of Covid-19 therapies
A brief note on the issue
Chile became the first country globally perhaps to pledge support, having passed a resolution internally backing the proposal, while UN agencies including UNAIDS and UNITAID have rallied around it.
The organisations support the proposal to waive intellectual property rules on patents and trade secrets for Covid-19 technology such as medicines, vaccines, masks and ventilators, for equitable and unrestricted access of these products globally.
- It is the global forum for intellectual property services, policy, information and cooperation.
- It is a self-funding agency of the United Nations, with 193 member states.
- Its mission is to lead the development of a balanced and effective international IP system that enables innovation and creativity for the benefit of all.
- Its mandate, governing bodies and procedures are set out in the WIPO Convention, which established WIPO in 1967
- WIPO’s Headquarters: Geneva