In News: World Heritage Day is observed every year on April 18, to preserve the human heritage and recognize the efforts of the organizations working for it.
Theme for World Heritage Day 2021
- ‘Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures’ is the theme for World Heritage Day 2021.
- Every year, the International Council on Monuments and Sites makes a decision.
- ICOMOS encourages people of all religious backgrounds to put their differences aside and come together to spread the message of unity.
World Heritage Day 2021: History
- The Venice Charter, also known as the 1964 International Charter on the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites, laid the foundation for the ICOMOS organisation.
- The International Council of Mountains and Sights proposed celebrating World Heritage Day on April 18, 1982, during a seminar in Tunisia.
- Then, in November 1983, at the 22nd session of the UNESCO Conference, a resolution was passed declaring April 18 to be World Heritage Day every year.
World Heritage Sites in India
- At present, India has 38 World Heritage Properties.
- All the sites under the Ministry are conserved as per ASI’s Conservation Policy and are in good shape.
WORLD HERITAGE SITES IN INDIA (38)
1.Agra Fort (1983),Uttar Pradesh
2.Ajanta Caves (1983), Maharashtra
3.Ellora Caves (1983),Maharashtra
4.Taj Mahal (1983),Uttar Pradesh
5.Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram (1984),Tamil Nadu
6.Sun Temple, Konark (1984),Odisha
7.Churches and Convents of Goa (1986),Goa
8.FatehpurSikri (1986),Uttar Pradesh
9.Group of Monuments at Hampi (1986),Karnataka
10.Khajuraho, Group of Temples (1986),Madhya Pradesh
11.Elephanta Caves ( 1987),Maharashtra
12.Great Living Chola Temples at Thanjavur, Gangaikondacholapuram and Darasuram (1987 & 2004),Tamil Nadu
13.Group of Monuments at Pattadakal (1987),Karnataka
14.Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989),Madhya Pradesh
15.Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi (1993),Delhi
16.Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi (1993),Delhi
17.Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka (2003),Madhya Pradesh
18.Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004),Gujarat
19.Red Fort Complex, Delhi (2007),Delhi
20.Hill Forts of Rajasthan Kumbhalgarh, Jaisalmer and Ranthambore, Amber and Gagron Forts) (2013), Rajasthan
21.Rani-ki-Vav (The Queen’s Stepwell) at Patan (2014),Gujarat
22.Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara (Nalanda University) at Nalanda (2016) ,Bihar
23.Mountain Railways of India Darjeeling,(1999), Nilgiri (2005), Kalka-Shimla (2008) West Bengal, Tamil Nadu,Himachal Pradesh
24.Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) (2004),Maharashtra
25.Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya, (2002),Bihar
26.The Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (2010),Rajasthan
27.The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement (2016),Chandigarh
28.Historic City of Ahmedabad (2017),Gujarat
29.Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai (2018),Maharashtra
30.Jaipur City, Rajasthan (2019),Rajasthan
NATURAL SITES: (7)
31.Kaziranga National Park (1985),Assam
32.Keoladeo National Park (1985),Rajasthan
33.Manas Wildlife Sanctuary (1985),Assam
34.Sundarbans National Park (1987),West Bengal
35.Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks (1988, 2005),Uttarakhand
36.Western Ghats (2012),Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra,Tamil Nadu
37.Great Himalayan National Park (2014),Himachal Pradesh
MIXED SITE: (1)
38.Khangchendzonga National Park (2016),Sikkim