In news : World Health Day has been observed on 7th April 2021
About World Health Day
- It is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7 April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as other related organizations.
- WHO usually launches advocacy campaigns on this occasion.
- Theme: This year’s theme is Building a fairer, healthier world. This is a priority area of concern for the WHO as the COVID-19 crisis put the spotlight back on the inequity in the healthcare system and how some people are able to stay healthier simply because of where they are born and their economic conditions.
- The main aim of the day is to create awareness of a specific health theme to highlight a priority area of concern for the World Health Organization.
- In 2020 the theme was-Supporting Nurses And Midwives
- World Health Day is one of 11 official global health campaigns marked by WHO, along with World Tuberculosis Day, World Immunization Week, World Malaria Day, World No Tobacco Day, World AIDS Day, World Blood Donor Day, World Chagas Disease Day, World Patient Safety Day, World Antimicrobial Awareness Week and World Hepatitis Day.
History of World Health Day
The World Health Organisation (WHO) organised the first World Health Assembly which called for a “World Health Day” in 1948. In 1950, the first World Health Day was celebrated on April 7 and since then, it is observed every year on the same day.