- The UN has designated the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day.
- World Habitat Day was first celebrated in 1986 with the theme “Shelter is My Right” and Nairobi was the host city.
- World Habitat Day 2019 was hosted by the Government of Mexico in Mexico City with the theme “Frontier Technologies as an Innovative Tool to Transform Waste to Wealth”.
- The focus is to promote the contribution of innovative technologies to sustainable waste management to achieve SDG 11 (aims to make cities more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable).
What are frontier technologies?
- Frontier technologies refer to automation, robotics, electric vehicles, renewable energy technologies, biotechnologies, and artificial intelligence which can transform social, economic and environmental spheres.