In news: Dr Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted, a global nutrition expert of Indian descent has won the prestigious 2021 World Food Prize.
- Her research on small native fish species in Bangladesh led to the development of nutrition-sensitive approaches to aquatic food systems at all levels, from the farm to food processing to final consumers.
- This resulted in improved diets for millions of the most vulnerable people in Asia and Africa.
About World food prize-
- The World Food Prize is an international award recognizing the achievements of individuals who have advanced human development by improving the quality, quantity, or availability of food in the world.
- The prize has been awarded annually since 1987 to recognize contributions in any field involved in the world food supply: Animal Science/AquaCulture, Soil Science/Water/Conservation, Nutrition/Health, Plant Science/Seed Science, Plant Pathology/Crop Protection, Food Technology/Food Safety, Poverty Alleviation/Hunger.
- The World Food Prize Foundation was conceived by Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Norman Borlaug in 1986.
- It is located in Des Moines, Iowa, United States.
- It is currently run by Barbara Stinson, who previously served as a co-founder and Senior Partner of the Meridian Institute, a renowned non-profit organization.
The prize was first funded by General Foods and since 1990, the World Food Prize has been sponsored by businessman and philanthropist, John Ruan.