Source: Press Information Bureau
World Biofuel Day is observed every year on the 10th of August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and highlight the various efforts made by Government in the biofuel sector.
- The theme of this year’s Biofuel Day is Production of Bio-diesel from Used Cooking Oil.
- The event was aimed at reducing dependency on biofuel and adopting alternative sources of energy and effective management of used cooking oil.
- The event in India was organized by Ministry o
- f Petroleum & Natural Gas
Government of India initiatives related to Biofuel
- National policy on Biofuels: It was released by the Government of India in 2018, the policy envisages production of biofuel from used cooking oil(UCO). It also envisages a target of 5% blending of Biodiesel in High-Speed Diesel by 2030.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is implementing a strategy to divert UCO from the food value chain and curb current illegal usage.
- Expression of Interest (EOI): To facilitate the production of Biodiesel from UCO, the Oil Marketing Companies shall float an Expression of Interest (EOI) for the procurement of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil across 100 cities. The purpose of inviting this EOI is to encourage the applicants to set up Biodiesel producing plants from Used Cooking Oil (UCO), processing plants and further utilizing the existing potential of UCO based Bio-diesel in India.
- The benefits of the transformation of UCO will help bring health benefits as there would be no recycling of the UCO, employment generation, infrastructural investment in rural areas & a cleaner environment with a reduced carbon footprint.
- This will help reduce diversion of Used Cooking Oil, stop its reuse beyond permissible limits besides reducing the carbon emissions. As per a scientific study, the used cooking oil has 25 percent of the polar compound affecting human health on consumption and causing serious diseases like cancer and severe heart problems