More than two thousand Court complexes across the country have been connected by a high-speed Wide Area Network (WAN)under e-Courts Project
What is a Wide Area Network(WAN)?
WAS is a telecommunications network that extends over a large geographic area for the primary purpose of computer networking. Wide area networks are often established with leased telecommunication circuits
Wide Area Networks(WAN) are a form of telecommunication networks that can connect devices from multiple locations and across the globe. WANs are the largest and most expansive forms of computer networks available to date.
In other words, WAN is a computer network spanning regions, countries, or even the world. However, in terms of the application of communication protocols and concepts, it may be best to view WANs as computer networking technologies used to transmit data over long distances, and between different networks
How is a WAN connected?
Many technologies are available for wide area network links. Examples include circuit-switched telephone lines, radio wave transmission, and optical fiber.
WAN is made with the combinations of LAN and MAN. The transmission of data is carried out with the help of hubs, switches, fiber optics, modem, and routers
Key features of WAN
- WAN mode of telecommunication allows a business to effectively carry out its daily function regardless of location
- It has no limit of area, therefore it is a worldwide network
- Through WAN multi countries organizations can form their global integrated network
- It supports global markets and global business
- With respect to a network database, WAN allows users all over a network to access and update a single, consistent view of data.
- WANs are used to connect LANs and other types of networks together so that users and computers in one location can communicate with users and computers in other locations.
- Many WANs are built for one particular organization and are private
Examples of WAN are: Internet, Cable Companies, Railway reservation counter, Network Providers etc