In news– For the first time in the history of Kolkata Police, cops are going to apply the ‘Gait analysis’ system in connection with the investigation of a trespassing incident at Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s house.
What is Gait analysis?
- Gait analysis is the systematic study of animal locomotion, more specifically the study of human motion, using the eye and the brain of observers, augmented by instrumentation for measuring body movements, body mechanics, and the activity of the muscles.
- It is used to assess and treat individuals with conditions affecting their ability to walk.
- It is also commonly used in sports biomechanics to help athletes run more efficiently and to identify posture-related or movement-related problems in people with injuries.
- The pioneers of scientific gait analysis were Aristotle in De Motu Animalium (On the Gait of Animals) and much later in 1680, Giovanni Alfonso Borelli also called De Motu Animalium (I et II).
- Its Commercial development soon followed with the emergence of commercial television and later infrared camera systems in the mid-1980s.
- In 2018, there was a new proposal for a kinetic summary measure, the Gait Kinetic Index.
Factors & Parameters-
The gait analysis is modulated or modified by many factors, and changes in the normal gait pattern can be transient or permanent. The factors can be of various types:
- Extrinsic: such as terrain, footwear, clothing, cargo
- Intrinsic: sex, weight, height, age, etc.
- Physical: such as weight, height, physique
- Psychological: personality type, emotions
- Physiological: anthropometric characteristics, i.e., measurements and proportions of body
- Pathological: for example trauma, neurological diseases, musculoskeletal anomalies, psychiatric disorders
The parameters taken into account for the gait analysis are as follows:
- Step length, Stride length, Cadence , Speed, Dynamic base, Progression line, Foot angle, Hip angle, Squat performance.