In news- The Union Finance Minister announced in the Budget of 2023 that states would be encouraged to set up a Unity Mall.
About the Unity Malls-
- Unity malls would focus on the promotion and sale of the state’s own “ODOPs (one district, one product), GI products and other handicraft products, and for providing space for such products of all other States”.
- These malls will be set up in ”state capitals, their most prominent tourism centres, or their financial capitals.
- Other handicraft products will also be sold in these malls. The Centre will also request the states to sell such products from other states as well.
- These Unity Malls are likely to be modelled around the Ekta Mall near the Statue of Unity in Gujarat.
- At present, an Ekta Mall is operational near the Statue of Unity, located about 3.5 km away from the statue at Ekta Nagar in Kevadia.
- The Ekta Mall – Unity in Handicrafts Diversity is a showroom of handicrafts from different states of India.
What is ODOP?
- One District, One Product is an initiative by the government which aims to make regional products more accessible, while providing capital to those who produce them.
- Under the scheme, the State identifies the chief product for a district, and then offers support for its processing, storage and marketing.
- These products can be perishable agri produce, cereal-based products or food products like mango, potato, meat and fisheries.
- The scheme also supports traditional and innovative products including waste-to-wealth products, such as honey and herbal edible products.