Indian Railway launches Hospital Management Information System (HMIS)to provide better health care facilities to its workforce with the help of information technology
About the HMIS of Indian Railways
- The HMIS of Indian Railways has been developed by Indian Railways in coordination with RailTel Corporation Limited.
- The objective of the HMIS is to provide a single-window of clearance of hospital administration activity such as clinical, diagnostics, pharmacy, examinations, industrial health, etc.
- The primary objectives of the envisaged solution are:
- Effectively manage all the health facilities & their resources
- Monitor performance of hospitals across the administrative channel
- Impart quality health care services to its beneficiaries
- Improve the patient turn-around time
- Generate and maintain EMR (electronic medical records) of all patients
What is a Management Information System?
- It is an information system used for decision-making, and for the coordination, control, analysis, and visualization of information in an organization.
- MIS is a people-oriented field with an emphasis on service through technology
- The study of the management information systems involves people, processes and technology in an organizational context
- In a corporate setting, the ultimate goal of the use of a management information system is to increase the value and profits of the business
- This is done by providing managers with timely and appropriate information allowing them to make effective decisions within a shorter period of time.
Five eras of MIS
- First Era – Mainframe and minicomputer computing
- Second Era – Personal computers
- Third Era – Client/server networks
- Fourth Era – Enterprise computing
- Fifth Era – Cloud computing