In News: The Ministry of Tourism’s Dekho Apna Desh Webinar series held its 85th webinar titled “Khajuraho-Temples of Architectural Splendour”on17th April 2021.
About Khajuraho Temples
- Khajuraho Temples were built between 950-1050 AD by the Chandela Dynasty.
- The temples are categorised into three groups that is Eastern, Western and Southern.
- These temples display intricate & exceptional carvings and astounding architectural skill which makes Khajuraho one of the most popular tourist destinations among domestic as well as international visitors.
- To name few temples are Kandariya Mahadev Temple, Chaunsat Yogini Temple, Brahma Temple, Chitragupta Temple, Devi Jagdamba Temple, Lakshmana Temple, Matangeshwar Temple, Parsvanath Temple.
- The temples are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures (about 10% of total sculptures).
- The temples at Khajuraho are all made of Sandstone.
- The largest temple at Khajuraho is the Kandariya Mahadeva temple which is attributed to king Ganda.
- All the towers or shikhara of the temple rise high, upward in curved pyramidal fashion, emphasizing the temple’s vertical thrust ending in horizontal fluted disc called Amalaka topped with Kalasha or vase.
- The erotic expression of sculptures in these temples gives equal importance in human experience as a spiritual pursuit, and it is seen as a part of the larger cosmic whole.
Dekho Apna Desh
- Ministry: Ministry of Tourism’s
- To encourage Indians to travel their own country.
- In the run-up to the Parv, several activities are organized across the country like photography contest, promotion on social media, tourism related quiz, Essay, etc. General public engagement for the event is promoted through the MyGov platform.