In news– Recently, the Defence Minister launched the Web Based Project Monitoring Portal (WBPMP) for Military Engineer Services (MES).
About the portal-
- The portal was conceptualized in accordance with the Digital India Mission of the Union Government.
- It has been developed by Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG-G).
- The newly launched unified portal is the first project management e-Governance to be implemented by the MES.
- It will enable real time monitoring of projects from its inception to completion.
- All stakeholders not only from MES but also Armed Forces users can gain access to the project information.
Military Engineer Services (MES)-
- It is the premier construction agency and one of the pillars of the Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army which provides rear line engineering support to the Armed Forces.
- It is one of largest construction and maintenance agencies in India with a total annual budget to the tune of approx Rs 13000 crores.
- It is responsible for creating the strategic and the operational infrastructure other than major roads, as also the administrative habitat for all three Services and the associated organisations of the Ministry of Defence.
- It has Pan India footprint to provide engineering support to various formations of Army, Air Force, Navy and DRDO.
- MES is a military organisation but has both Army and Civilian components of officers and other subordinate staff.
- The MES functions under the overall control of the Engineer-in- Chief, who is the advisor to the Ministry of Defence and the three Services on operational and peace time construction activities.
- It is responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of all infrastructure assets of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- MES is the only construction agency in the country which carries out all construction related tasks like construction of residential and office buildings, hospitals, roads and runways, marine structure like docks and harbours across the country including border areas.
- The MES also contributes significantly towards nation building and disaster mitigation.