In news- Recently, the Indus Research Centre, which is part of the Roja Muthiah Research Library, has launched a web app- indusscript.in.
About the web app-
- It was developed through a financial grant from the Department of Archaeology.
- The ‘Indus Script: Texts, Concordance and Tables’, written by Iravatham Mahadevan, is the sourcebook for studying and analysing the Indus scripts and is most sought after by researchers from all over the world.
- The book was published in 1977 by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- The Indus Research Centre of the Roja Muthiah Research Library to help the researchers get access to the book has developed this web app.
- The Indus script (also known as the Harappan script) is a corpus of symbols produced by the Indus Valley Civilization.
- Most inscriptions containing these symbols are extremely short, making it difficult to judge whether or not these symbols constituted a script used to record a language, or even symbolise a writing system.
- In spite of many attempts, the ‘script’ has not yet been deciphered, but efforts are ongoing.
- There is no known bilingual inscription to help decipher the script, and the script shows no significant changes over time.
- About 90% of the Indus script seals and inscribed objects discovered so far were found at sites in Pakistan along the Indus river, while other sites elsewhere account only for the remaining 10%.