The Competition Commission of India (CCI), organised a virtual workshop of BRICS Competition Agencies
- CCI organised a virtual workshop of BRICS Competition Agencies on “Competition Issues in Automotive Sector” during 05-06 November 2020.
- The CCI is the project co-lead of the Automotive Working Group (AWG) along with Competition Commission, South Africa
- The Workshop was attended by senior officers of BRICS Competition Agencies.
Earlier, BRICS Competition Agencies had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on co-operation in the field of competition law and policy in May 2016 (In 2020 extended for an open-end period) to enhance co-operation and interaction.
In accordance with this MoU, four Working Groups had been constituted on important industries/ sectors viz Pharmaceuticals, Food, Automotive and Digital Markets.
These Working Groups have collaborated with each other to adopt best practices. The present Workshop was held amongst the AWG.
BRICS Competition Centre
- The BRICS Competition Law and Policy project was initiated and is coordinated by the Skolkovo – Higher School of Economics Institute for Law and Development, a Moscow-based international think tank.
- The aim of the BRICS Competition Centre is to provide the meeting point for BRICS competition law research, ensure the scientific support the work of BRICS competition authorities and to promote a distinct BRICS competition law agenda for the global economy.
- The BRICS Competition Centre collaborates with a number of partner institutions worldwide and relies on a group of internationally known competition law and policy experts, public intellectuals, industry and technology leaders.
- The importance of this area of cooperation was noted in the Ufa Declaration adopted at the end of the 7th BRICS Summit in July 2015.