Source: Kurukshethra Magazine
- To provide the space-based services directly to the rural areas, ISRO/ DOS has launched the Village Resource Centres (VRCs) programme in association with NGOs/ Trusts and state/ central agencies.
- VRCs have provided various space technology-enabled services such as telehealthcare, tele-education, natural resources information, advisories related to agriculture, career guidance to rural students, skill development and vocational training, etc. to the rural population.
- Establishing new VRCs is an ongoing process and the same is carried out based on communication technology needs, funds available, proposals received from State Governments/NGOs, etc.
- The parameters for selecting NGOs and Trusts as partners in VRC include;
- Experience in community organization and social work
- Availability of required infrastructure for housing the VRC facility
- Requisite manpower for the day-to-day operation and
- Capacity for conducting programmes of relevance for the development of rural areas.
- Rural empowerment
- SMART Governance
- Computerized Gram Panchayats
- Distance education
- Remote healthcare services
- Employment opportunities
- Access to products and services available to city dwellers