Source: Press Information Bureau
The President of India conferred the “Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019” on the eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of the elderly persons to mark ‘International Day of Older Persons’. International Day of Older Persons is celebrated every year on 1st October since the year 2005.
What is Vayoshreshtha Samman?
Vayoshreshtha Samman is a Scheme of awards instituted by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (D/o Social Justice & Empowerment) and gradually upgraded to the status of National Awards, for institutions involved in rendering distinguished service for the cause of elderly persons especially indigent senior citizens and to eminent citizens in recognition of their service/achievements.
Categories of the Award
- Best Institution for Research in the field of Ageing: For institutions with a record of outstanding work in research and dissemination of knowledge in the field of ageing.
- Best Institution for providing services to Senior Citizens and Awareness Generation: For institutions with a record of providing services to the elderly, especially indigent senior citizens.
- Best District Panchayat in providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens: To the district Panchayats, which have done outstanding work for senior citizens.
- Best Urban Local Body in providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens: To municipal bodies, which have done outstanding work for senior citizens.
- Best State in implementing the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, and providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens: To the State or Union Territories which has taken a lead in implementing various provisions of the Act and has highest percentage of settlement of claims of maintenance or best security programme for elderly.
- Best Private Sector Organisation in promoting the wellbeing and welfare of Senior Citizens: Corporate Houses, addressing the problems of elderly either by providing them gainful employment, or utilizing their skills and experience to the benefit of the society or creating infrastructure in geriatric medical care or any other similar step for the benefit of senior citizens as a community. The activities undertaken for the benefit of senior citizens should be away from the mainline business of the organization.
- Best Public Sector Organisation in promoting the wellbeing and welfare of Senior Citizens: Public Sector Undertakings undertaking service to the community through activities under corporate social responsibility and also through programmes for retired employees.
- Centenarian Award: For renowned individuals who are above ninety years and are still physically active, independent and contributing to society.
- Iconic Mother Award: For women senior citizens who in the face of great odds, brought up their children and supported them in being high achievers in the field of their choice.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: To senior citizens, preferably above seventy years, who have worked in the field of aging and made significant contributions in the field.
- Creative Art Award: For winners of national/international acclaim for their contribution to literature, theatre, cinema, music, dance, painting, sculpture, photography, etc. and who continue to be active in their field well into their old age.
- Sports and Adventure Award (one each for Male and Female): To senior citizens who have won international acclaim and who continue to contribute in the field of sports and adventure.
- Courage & Bravery Award (one each for Male and Female): To senior citizens who have displayed extraordinary courage in the face of grave danger. Normally, the Awards are not presented posthumously. However, if the death occurs subsequent to nomination having been submitted, the award may be presented posthumously.