In news- 200 Van Dhan producer companies are being planned to be set up in 27 States during 2020-21 to 2025-26 with priority in Aspirational Districts under Van Dhan programme of TRIFED.
- A Van Dhan Producer company has existed in Jawadhu Hills in Tiruvannamalai district, Tamil Nadu since 2020.
- Jawadhu hills is an extension of the Eastern Ghats and the Malayali tribal people constitute 92.60 per cent of the total population in this block.
- To help the Malayali tribal people empower themselves and gain better opportunities and market access, the Jawadhu Hills Tribal Farmer Producer Company was formed in 2020.
- This is an example of how the Van Dhan tribal start-up has been successful in improving the livelihoods and incomes of the tribal people across the country.
- The Van Dhan tribal start-ups, a component of the Van Dhan scheme, is a programme for value addition, branding & marketing of Minor Forest Produces by establishing Van Dhan Kendras to facilitate creation of sustainable livelihoods for the forest-based tribes.
- TRIFED is also expanding the Skills Development and Micro entrepreneurship programme, together with the Tribal Livelihoods program.
- With the Ministry of Agriculture & Family Welfare, TRIFED will work towards the formation of 14 Honey Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) in 8 States such as Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
More information- https://journalsofindia.com/pradhan-mantri-van-dhan-yojana/