fly without the onboard presence of pilots. nmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) are a class of aircrafts that can Unmanned aircraft systems consist of the aircraft component, sensor payloads and a ground control station. UAVs are used for observation and tactical planning. They are classified based on the altitude range, endurance and weight, and support a wide range of applications including military and commercial applications.
Unmanned Aircraft System Rules, 2020
- An importer, manufacturer, trader, owner and operator of UAS must apply for prior authorization from DGCA which is valid initially for five years. The authorisation may be renewed for a period of another five years at a time. If the authorisation request is granted, the DGCA will issue a Unique Authorisation Number (UAN).
- The substantial ownership and effective control in case of authorisation of a company/ body corporate/ firm etc. shall vest in Indian nationals.
- An organisation manufacturing a UAS or its part/ component is subject to safety and inspection oversight by the DGCA, and must comply with DGCA’s requirements.
- A UAS may be sold or leased or transferred in any other manner only to persons with a valid UAN, and with prior approval of DGCA.
- For every flight of a UA, permission must be obtained through the online platform (‘Digital Sky’) in the manner specified by the DGCA. After each flight, the UAS operator is required to furnish flight log details through Digital Sky.
- A UA is permitted to capture imagery except in non-permissible areas (specified in Schedule VIII) and after ensuring the privacy of an individual and their property.
- A UA shall not carry any payload, nor drop/ project an article when in motion, except as specified by DGCA.
- The Central government may establish a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system in the Indian airspace, and grant a licence to a person for providing UTM service.
- One of the requirements for UTM personnel is to undergo training at a training institute authorised by DGCA.
- Drone ports and drone corridors may be established in permitted areas. A drone port shall be used for the arrival, departure, surface movement and associated maintenance or commercial activities of UA.
- A UA may be operated in India only if a valid third-party insurance policy covers liability in case of a mishap involving such UA and causing death or bodily injury to any person or damage to property.