BIOTECH URJIT CLUSTER
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, is inviting proposals to establish BIOTECH URJIT CLUSTER i.e. ”University Research Joint Industry Translational Cluster” in the country to synergize resources between institutions, Universities research laboratories, industries and SMEs for technology & product development and building enterprises.
- To address Indian National research laboratories focusing on life sciences in collaboration with universities, medical schools, technical institutes, industries, incubators, SMEs in the life sciences sector with a proven track-record on research, technology and product development.
- DBT in the last three decades has created a vibrant Innovation ecosystem. It is now imperative to strengthen the University, Research laboratory, Industry connect to take forward the Translational research to commercialisation.
- The cluster approach is seen as a means to institutionalise the connections for steering enterprise creation from high-end scientific research. Four bioclusters have been established by the Department so far.
- A purpose of Biotech URJIT Cluster scheme is to complement and enhance the translational and commercialization potential of inventions & innovations coming out of academic research activities.
- Each Biotech URJIT Cluster will be anchored at a certain geography or region. All partners of the Biotech URJIT Cluster should be in close geographical proximity to allow easy collaborations.
Who can apply?
- National research laboratories focusing on life sciences in collaboration with universities, medical schools, technical institutes, industries, incubators, SMEs in the life sciences sector with a proven track-record on research, technology and product development are eligible.
- In addition, it is desirable to have linkages and partnerships with State Governments and investors.
- National laboratory (preferably DBT institute), University, incubator, industry/SMEs are mandatory partners.
- The institutes should be in proximity in a specified geographic location, including State and Central universities in the cluster is preferable.