- The Finance Minister said that the National Education Policy (NEP) announced recently has had good reception, while adding that more than 15,000 schools will be qualitatively strengthened to include all components of the National Education Policy.
- She also announced that 100 new Sainik Schools will be set up in partnership with NGOs/private schools/states.
Higher Education Commission of India:
- The Minister also proposed to set up a Higher Education Commission of India, as an umbrella body having 4 separate vehicles for standard-setting, accreditation, regulation, and funding.
- Creation of formal umbrella structure to cover all Govt. colleges, universities, research institutions in a city for greater synergy
- For accessible higher education in Ladakh, the Government proposed to set up a Central University in Leh.
Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Welfare:
- Government has set a target of establishing 750 Eklavya model residential schools in tribal areas with an increase in unit cost of each such school from Rs. 20 crore to Rs. 38 crore, and for hilly and difficult areas, to Rs. 48 crore.
- Similarly, under the revamped Post Matric Scholarship Scheme for the welfare of Scheduled Castes, the Central Assistance was enhanced and allocated Rs. 35,219 crore for 6 years till 2025-2026, to benefit 4 crore SC students.
- An initiative is underway, in partnership with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), to benchmark skill qualifications, assessment, and certification, accompanied by the deployment of certified workforce.
- The Government also has a collaborative Training Inter Training Programme (TITP) between India and Japan to facilitate transfer of Japanese industrial and vocational skills, technique, and knowledge and the same would be taken forward with many more countries.
- Proposed amendment to Apprenticeship Act to enhance opportunities for youth
- Rs. 3000 crore for realignment of existing National Apprenticeship Training Scheme (NATS) towards post-education apprenticeship, training of graduates and diploma holders in Engineering.