Vidyut Mohan, an Indian entrepreneur named among UNEP’s Young Champions of the Earth prize 2020
- Vidyut Mohan, a 29-year-old Indian entrepreneur is among the seven winners of the prestigious “Young Champions of the Earth” 2020 prize given by the UNEP to global change-makers using innovative ideas and ambitious action to help solve some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
- Vidyut Mohan, is the co-founder of “Takachar”, a social enterprise enabling farmers to prevent open burning of their waste farm residues and earn extra income by converting them into value-added chemicals like activated carbon on-site
About Young Champions of the Earth prize
Young Champions of the Earth aims to celebrate and support individuals aged between 18 and 30 who have outstanding potential to create a positive environmental impact.
- It is the United Nations Environment Programme’s leading initiative to engage youth in tackling the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
- Seven winners were announced in December 2020.
- The winners are given funding and mentorship to support their environmental initiative
- Since its inception in 2017, 28 environmental trailblazers have been recognised from every corner of the globe.
What is the selection process?
- Shortlisted finalists from every region will be selected following an open call for applications. A Global Jury will then choose seven winners.
- Each winner is expected to implement their big idea and keep UNEP updated on their progress by producing videos and blogs that we will share on UNEP’s website.
- Winners will also be given funding to support their communication efforts throughout the year, so that they can produce high-quality materials to share with our audiences.
In 2020, seven Young Champions of the Earth were selected from each global region: Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, West Asia and two from Asia and the Pacific. Each winner received:
- US$10,000 in seed funding
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth award ceremony
- Publicity and recognition through interviews and online and global media