Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) terror group’s leader Noor Wali Mehsud has been designated as a global terrorist by the U he N for participating in the financing, planning and perpetrating acts on behalf of and in support of entities associated with al-Qaeda.
Blacklisting by UN
The UN Security Council’s 1267 ISIL and Al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee added Mehsud, 42, to the ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List, subjecting the Pakistani national to an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo. Blacklisting by the Security Council entails that all states are required to freeze without delay the funds and other financial assets or economic resources of designated individuals and entities.
They are also required to prevent the entry into or transit through their territories by the designated individuals. They must also block the direct or indirect supply, sale and transfer from within their territory or by their nationals to outside their territory. Additionally, they cannot use their flag vessels or aircrafts, for arms and related materiel of all types including spare parts. Any kind technical advice, assistance, or training related to military activities, to designated individuals and entities is also forestalled.
UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee
The Committee comprises all 15 members of the Security Council and makes its decision by consensus. The Committee is mandated to:
- oversee the implementation of the sanctions measures
- designate individuals and entities who meet the listing criteria set out in the relevant resolutions
- consider and decide upon notifications and requests for exemptions from the sanctions measures
- consider and decide upon requests to remove a name from the ISIL (Da’esh) & Al-Qaida Sanctions List
- conduct periodic and specialised reviews of the entries on the ISIL (Da’esh) & Al-Qaida Sanctions List
- examine the reports presented by the monitoring team
- report annually to the Security Council on the implementation of the sanctions measures
- conduct outreach activities
Acts or activities indicating that an individual, group, undertaking or entity is associated with ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida include:
- Participating in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing, or perpetrating of acts or activities by, in conjunction with, under the name of, on behalf of, or in support of
- Supplying, selling or transferring arms and related materiel to
- Recruiting for; or otherwise supporting acts or activities of, ISIL (Da’esh), Al-Qaida or any cell, affiliate, splinter group or derivative thereof.