Source: Press Information Bureau
Recently the Union Minister for Human Resource Development, launched ‘Paramarsh’ – a University Grants Commission (UGC) scheme for Mentoring National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) Accreditation Aspirant Institutions to promote Quality Assurance in Higher Education
Key highlights of the scheme
- Scheme will be operationalized through a “Hub & Spoke” model wherein;
- The Mentor Institution, called the “Hub” is centralized and will have the responsibility of guiding the Mentee institution through the secondary branches the “Spoke” through the services provided to the mentee for self improvement.
- This allows a centralized control over operational efficiency, resource utilization to attain overall development of the mentee institution.
- Mentee Institution will also have increased exposure and speedier adaptation to best practices.
- Paramarsh” scheme will also facilitate the sharing of knowledge, information and opportunities for research collaboration and faculty development in Mentee Institutions.
- Present target: The “Paramarsh” scheme will target 1000 Higher Education Institutions for mentoring with a specific focus on quality as enumerated in the UGC “Quality Mandate”
- With this scheme Mentor-Mentee relationship will not only benefit both the institutions but also provide quality education to the 3.6 crore students who are enrolling to Indian Higher Education system at present.
The scheme will be a paradigm shift in the concept of mentoring of institution by another well performing institution to upgrade their academic performance and enable them to get accredited by focusing in the area of curricular aspects, teaching-learning & evaluation, research, innovation, institutional values & practices etc.
The scheme is expected to have a major impact in addressing a national challenge of improving the quality of Higher Education in India.