The Union Education Minister has released the UDISE+ report recently.
United District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) report 2019-20
Following are the key highlights of UDISE+ report:
Gross Enrolment Ratio(GER):
- GER at all levels of school education has improved in 2019-20 compared to 2018-19.
- Total enrolment in schools has increased in 2019-20 compared to 2018-19 by 1.6%.
- GER increased to
- 89.7% (from 87.7%) at Upper Primary level.
- 97.8% (from 96.1%) at Elementary Level.
- 77.9% (from 76.9%) at Secondary Level and
- 51.4% (from 50.1%) at Higher Secondary Level in 2019-20 (from 2018-19).
Enrolment of Girls:
- The enrolment of girls from primary to higher secondary is more than 12.08 crore. This is a substantial increase by 14.08 lakh compared to 2018-19.
Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR):
- It has improved at all levels of school education
- In 2019-20, 96.87 lakh teachers have been engaged in school education. This is higher by about 2.57 lakh compared to 2018-19.
- In 2019-20, the PTR for primary has become 26.5, PTR for upper primary and secondary has become 18.5 and PTR for higher secondary has become 26.1.
Gender Parity Index (GPI):
- Between 2012-13 and 2019-20, the GPI at both Secondary and Higher Secondary levels have improved.
- Improvement of GPI has been most pronounced at the higher secondary level, which has gone up to 1.04 in 2019-20 from 0.97 in 2012-13.
Enrolment of Divyang students:
- It has increased by 6.52% over 2018-19.
Number of students:
In 2019-20, total students in school education from pre-primary to higher secondary have crossed 26.45 crore. This is higher by 42.3 lakh compared to 2018-19.
- The UDISE+ report shows a remarkable improvement in the number of schools with functional electricity, with functional computers, internet facility in 2019-20 over the previous year.
- More than 90% schools in India had hand wash facility in 2019-20. This is a major improvement, as this percentage was only 36.3% in 2012-13.
- More than 80% schools in India in 2019-20 had functional electricity. This is an improvement by more than 6% over the previous year 2018-19.
- Number of schools having functional computers increased to 5.2 lakh in 2019-20 from 4.7 lakh in 2018-19.
- Number of schools having internet facility increased to 3.36 lakh in 2019-20 from 2.9 lakh in 2018-19.
- More than 83% schools had electricity in 2019-20, an improvement by almost 7% over the previous year, 2018-19. In 2012-13, about 54.6% schools had electricity.
- More than 82% schools conducted medical check-up of students in 2019-20, an increase by more than 4% compared to previous year 2018-19. In 2012-13, about 61.1% schools conducted medical checkups.
- More than 84% schools in India had a library/reading room/ reading corner in 2019-20, an improvement of nearly 4% compared to the previous year. In 2012-13, about 69.2% schools had library/ reading room/ reading corner.
The UDISE+ system of online data collection from the schools was developed in the year 2018-19 to overcome the issues related to manual data filling in paper format and subsequent feeding at the block or district level, which was in practice in the UDISE data collection system from 2012-13.
The present publication relates to UDISE+ data for the reference year 2019-20.
Gross Enrollment Ratio(GER)
GER is a statistical measure used in the education sector, and formerly by the UN in its Education Index, to determine the number of students enrolled in school at several different grade levels (like elementary, middle school and high school), and use it to show the ratio of the number of students who live in that country to those who qualify for the particular grade level.
UNESCO describes “Gross Enrolment Ratio” as the total enrolment within a country “in a specific level of education, regardless of age, expressed as a percentage of the population in the official age group corresponding to this level of education”
United District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+)
- Indian Government has developed an applicationUDISE+ under the Ministry of Education, to collect the school details about factors related to a school and its resources.
- UDISE+ has a mandate of collecting information from all recognized and unrecognized schools imparting formal education from Pre-primary to XII.
- Information collected through the digital platform of UDISE+, is utilized for the planning, optimized resource allocation and implementation of various education-related programs and assessments of progress made.
- UDISE+, collects information through an online Data Collection Form (DCF) on parameters ranging from school, Infrastructure, teachers, enrolments, examination results etc. spread across 11 sections.