Source: Ministry of Human Resource Development
Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana (UAY) was announced on October 6, 2015, with a view to promoting innovation of a higher order that directly impacts the needs of the Industry and thereby improves the competitive edge of Indian manufacturing.
The focus of the scheme
The scheme focuses on a viable industry-academic collaboration where industry shares a part of the cost of research.
- To promote innovation in areas that are directly of relevance to the manufacturing and design industry
- To spur innovative mindset in the students and faculty in premier technological institutes
- To bring a coordinated action between academia and the industry
- To strengthen the laboratories and research facilities in the premier technological institutions.
- To have outcome-based research funding.
The scheme would be applicable to the projects proposed by the Indian Institutes of Technologies initially. The projects should have collaboration between the academia and industry – within or outside India
Whereas there would be no limit on the project size, the overall annual investment would be limited to Rs. 250 Cr each year.
Every item listed in the project would need to be justified. The following will be the funding pattern of the projects selected:
- 25% by Industry/industries
- 25% by participating Department/Ministry
- 50% by MHRD.