Why in news?
Bharat Biotech has developed a typhoid (Typbar TCV) vaccine that is better able to prevent typhoid fever than commonly used vaccines.
What is typhoid?
- Food and water infected by bacteria Salmonella Typhi (S. typhi) are responsible for typhoid fever.
- Fever, fatigue, diarrhea, loss of appetite, constipation are the symptoms of the disease.
- The severity of the illness varies and serious cases can lead to serious complications or even death.
- The WHO notes that in children below two years of age a large proportion of cases of severe typhoid fever exist.
- Typbar TCV vaccine is a type of conjugate vaccine that was pre-qualified by the Strategic Advisory Group of Immunization Experts (WHO-SAGE) of the WHO.