In news- Centre has revised the “Transport and Marketing Assistance” (TMA) scheme for Specified Agriculture Products’.
- In February 2019, the Department of Commerce introduced ‘Transport and Marketing Assistance (TMA) for Specified Agriculture Products Scheme’ to provide assistance for the international component of freight.
- Under the TMA, the government reimburses a certain portion of freight charges and provides assistance for the marketing of agricultural produce.
- It was meant to mitigate the disadvantage of higher freight costs faced by the Indian exporters of agriculture products.
- The scheme was initially applicable for exports affected during the period from 01.03.2019 to 31.03.2020 and was later extended for exports affected up to 31.03.2021.
- Now the revised scheme will be effective from 01.04.2021 up to 31.03.2022 (March 2022).
- Dairy products, which were not covered under the earlier scheme, will be eligible for assistance under the revised scheme.
- Rates of assistance have been increased, by 50% for exports by sea and by 100% for exports by air