Why is it in the news?
- Tom, the Netherlands-based global provider of navigation, traffic and map products has released the Traffic Index 2019.
What is this index?
- The index uses location technology to collect traffic information and has been publishing city rankings for nine years. It has covered 416 cities across 57 countries.
- For this study, congestion has been defined in terms of the additional time taken to reach a destination as opposed to when the road would have been clear of traffic.
Highlights of the index:
- Bengaluru was ranked as the world’s most traffic congested city with drivers expecting to spend an average of 71% extra travel time stuck in traffic.
- Mumbai, Pune and New Delhi were the other Indian cities that featured in top 10 taking fourth, fifth and eighth places respectively.
- The other global cities featured amongst the top 10 include Manila from the Philippines, Bogota from Colombia, Moscow from Russia; Lima from Peru, Istanbul from Turkey and Jakarta from Indonesia