Why in news?
In today’s context, AYUSH indicated the relevance of this method.
- The system comes from traditional texts and cultural heritage and presents a healthy method to cure diseases.
- Subject to the growing challenges of Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs), lifestyle disorders, long term diseases, and multidrug resistant diseases, importance and demand for yoga, ayurveda, homeopathy, siddha and unani are growing.
- Steps taken by government to restore it are:
- AYUSH defense wings and train hospitals are being developed.
- Strategy to promote effective cross-learning and equitable interaction between new and conventional programs.
- Provision for the integration of both systems at all levels of education, research and practice.
- Including training in modern medicine for AYUSH practitioners through curriculum changes and vice versa.
- Soft loans and funding to set up private clinics and AYUSH hospitals.
- Building institutes in teaching and research excellence in AYUSH which would enhance traditional medicine’s credibility and awareness.
- 12,500 health centers and wellness centers are expected to be built under the Ayushman Bharat Mission.
- The relative strengths, weaknesses, and function of each system should be delineated.
- AYUSH practices, training quality and administrative should be standardized. Specific issues related to AYUSH analysis methods should be discussed.
- India could learn from the example of Chinese integration with western medicine. A smooth transition through medium-and long-term strategy should be expeditiously implemented to take into account significant push which is already underway in the world towards universal health care.
- Through India, the subordinated status of AYUSH can be addressed and its legitimate inclusion in mainstream health services promoted.