In news- Recently the scientists have identified a planet which is named as TOI-2109b has the shortest orbit of any known gas giant to date.
About the new planet-
- It is an extremely hot Jupiter-like planet, which is estimated to be five times Jupiter’s mass and revolves around its star in just 16 hours.
- It was discovered by scientists at NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) in 2020, an MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)-led mission.
- It is located in the southern portion of the Hercules constellation, which is 855 light years from Earth.
- Due to its extremely tight orbit and proximity to its star, the planet’s day side is estimated to be at around 3,500 Kelvin, or close to 3227 degrees Celsius which is about as hot as a small star.
- This makes TOI-2109b, the second hottest planet detected so far.
- They also speculate that TOI-2109b is in the process of “orbital decay,” or spiraling into its star.
- Considering its extremely short orbit, researchers predict that the planet may spiral toward its star faster than other hot Jupiters.