In news– The Union Cabinet has recently approved setting up of three new multi-state cooperative bodies.
About new multi-state cooperative bodies-
Three new multi-state cooperative bodies under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies (MSCS) Act, 2002 are:
- National multi-state cooperative export society.
- National multi-state cooperative organic society and
- National multi-state cooperative seed society.
Multi-state cooperative organic society-
- It will manage various activities related to the organic sector by providing certified and authentic organic products.
- It will help in unlocking demand and consumption potential of organic products in domestic as well as global markets.
- It will also help cooperatives and ultimately their farmer members in getting benefits of high price of organic products through aggregation, branding and marketing on a large scale by facilitating testing and certification at affordable cost.
Multi-state seed cooperative society-
- It will act as an apex organisation for production, procurement, processing, branding, labelling, packaging, storage, marketing and distribution of quality seeds; strategic research and development; and to develop a system for preservation and promotion of indigenous natural seeds; through various cooperative societies across the country with support from relevant ministries.
- It will help to increase the seed replacement rate, varietal replacement rate, ensuring the role of farmers in quality seed cultivation and seed variety trials.
Multi-state cooperative export society-
- It will provide thrust to exports from the cooperative sector by acting as an umbrella organisation for carrying out and promoting exports.
- It will also help cooperatives in getting benefits from various export-related schemes and policies of different ministries of the central government in a focused manner.
- Basically, it will help unlock the export potential of Indian cooperatives in the global market.