In news- 19 States and Union Territories have got their nutrition profiles which analyse data on wasting (low weight-for-height), stunting, anaemia, underweight and overweight, besides diabetes and high blood pressure.
About State Nutrition Profiles (SNPs)-
- The documents have been prepared by Niti Aayog in association with the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Indian Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS), UNICEF and the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG).
- They contain a comprehensive compilation of crucial data that can positively affect policy decisions and facilitate research in the area.
- These are based on the headcount-based analyses and use of data from the National Family Health Survey (NFHS)-5 in 2019-20.
- Each SNP has incorporated key takeaways for children, women and men and identifies areas where the state has the potential to improve further.
- The reports highlight the best and worst performing districts, highest burden districts and top coverage districts of the country.
About International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)-
- It is an international agricultural research center founded in 1975 to improve the understanding of national agricultural and food policies to promote the adoption of innovations in agricultural technology.
- The mission of IFPRI is to provide research-based policy solutions that sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition.
- It is a Non-profit organisation headquartered in Washington, D.C., USA.
- Most of the research takes place in developing countries in Central America, South America, Africa, and Asia.
- It is part of a network of international research institutes funded in part by the CGIAR, which in turn is funded by governments, private businesses and foundations, and the World Bank.